He has been summoned.
After weeks of teasers, previews and interviews, the Summoner is finally available to download on Steam! Our new hero represents a landmark change in the way you’ll play Dungeon Defenders. We can’t wait to see the strategies and game modes that will brew from the community cauldron. As always, we want your feedback on the hero. Follow this link to let us know what you think!
His mechanics might be daunting the first time you load him up. To help you through the first hour of game time, our beta team has prepared an in-depth video that covers the Summoner’s mechanics.
And what’s a new hero without a new costume? Introducing the Demoness, our female skin for the Summoner!
One look at her devilish smirk and you'll know she can handle more than her fair share of trouble. The new costume will be finished and shipped with our next mission pack, the Talay Mining Complex.
“In the southern region of Talay, rich in minerals but dangerously volcanic, a long-buried Eternia Crystal has been unearthed. Protect it from the horde!”
If you were watching our Summoner Sneak Peek yesterday, you caught an extra peek at the Talay Mining Complex. The build you saw was from an older build of the level. Our level designer, Morgan Roberts, has been spit-shining those rock walls and crystal clusters to a pristine sheen.
Of course, we didn’t show you our favorite part of the map -- the new challenge, Volcanic Eruption. As the lava rises, it’s up to you to protect the Eternia Crystal as it moves up through the Mining Complex. Defeat all of the enemies quickly before the rising lava destroys friend and foe - even during the Build Phase!
Also included in the pack are four new weapons, a new pet, and the Demoness costume mentioned earlier. One of these new weapons has the capabilities of a certain masterful beam-shooting sword from a certain legendary series. Did we mention that it shoots beams?
All of this will be available next week on May 30. We’ll have more details on pricing next week.
Console News Updates
The third part of our Quest for the Lost Eternia Shards put its feet upon European soil earlier today. Now our PSN EU fans can experience the majesty of the lost city of Aquanos, solve the Riddle of the Deep and claim the third Shard for their own!
And we’ve heard whispers of another Trendy community event pass breezily by our office window. Expect more details in next week’s Digest.
Dungeon Defenders Sale
I think it’s pretty obvious to say, Trendy Entertainment wouldn’t exist right now if there weren’t flexible, developer-centric platforms like Steam around for us to sell our games on. So, to celebrate, we’re teaming up with a bunch of other developers and putting Dungeon Defenders on sale May 24 through June 1. The discount (and lists of other games) will be here tomorrow, so stay tuned!
Map Contest Spotlight Postponed
With the beta video team busy on the Summoner video, we had to postpone our map contest video walkthrough and podcast for this week. Don’t worry. Next week, we’ll give you a double dose of the good stuff.
Beta Team Update: 5/23/12
Greetings from Beta Land! Last night was a blast for the beta team. Trendy gave the go ahead for the beta team to show off the new hero in games titled “Official Summoner Beta Team Sneak Peek.” As a result, quite a few people got a chance to see the new class in action. So, we thought we’d share some of the stories we had from the event!
“I was setting a few summons and then just walking a pair of ogres around, people loved me XD”
“I've been enjoying the whole ‘heal aura works on minions’ thing, I think I missed the memo on that!”
“Some guy asked me to make a warrior follow him. I told him he wasn’t allowed to get a puppy because he didn’t take very good care of it.”
“It was then that I realized I could really entertain people by giving them a goon squad.”
“I managed to get to 71! I was letting people pick the map they wanted and one crazy group I ended up with insisted on doing an insane Glitter run to help me level up!”
Code Drop Tuesday
Instead of our usual Twitter giveaway, we decided to host a Summoner Sneak Peek event, giving our fans their first taste of the Summoner in action and a chance to get the new hero on us. If you want to catch up on the stream, click the banner below! (The audio looping glitch at the beginning was pretty epic.)
Congratulations to all of our winners from yesterday!
[PC] Trendy Friday Fun
Time: 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. EST
Hosts: Hitmonchan, IceArrow, Skott
Description: Join us every Friday for fun and games! Look for the lobby “Trendy Friday Fun” in the Ranked servers.
[PS3] Etheria’s Super Events
Date: May 25 to 27
Hosts: Classic22 (event coordinator), CaptBoxershorts, TitoDaddy, Raknar2011, Flaming_cows, Thedarkcrucible, Uprisinq, Gashen-Sai, Deathdealer1877, xNoxONEx
- Challenge Map: Monster Fest
- Difficulty: Hard
- Huntress and Apprentice NOT ALLOWED
- The host will place 3 Slice'n'Dice Towers marked on these three spots on the >>>MAP<<<, from there each participant will endeavour to stay on top of the Slice'n'Dice until the game is over. Fall off, or get knocked off will render you useless for the rest of the game, you may run to the other towers so you don't waste valuable lives.
- You must not attack if you fall off or get knocked off. Your pet will still be usable. You may only stand there, however one fallen person can use hero abilities.
- To win, one person on your team must remain on their Slice'n'Dice until wave 8. You must not intentionally lose the last wave just to get the reward. If the host notices a substantial effort to win, but didn't reach wave 8, they may award the item.
- If you AFK, or the host notices that you are obviously not trying to win, you will be disqualified. You must attempt to win. Those who beat wave 10 shall have the respect of their fellow community
- You may build defences whilst on your Slice'n'Dice only.
- If your Slice'n'Dice is destroyed, you must follow the fall off procedures.
- The host may help at their discretion. They will only build the defenses outlined on the map. The host will avoid being killed or pulling aggro on the mobs, that's only fair
- Banned event items: "Laser Robot", "The Mentor".
- Thanks to the Xbox community for allowing the use of their idea.
Sign-up Thread: http://forums.trendyent.com/showthre...tems-May-25-27
If you have an awesome event you’d like to share with the world, click the Add New Event button on the Calendar page. Be sure to include PC, 360 or PS3 in the title of your event, a brief description of the event and the times you’ll be hosting. We might spotlight your event in a future Digest!
Screenshots of the Week
We’ve spread our screenshots of the week throughout this Digest! Have a great photo you’d like to share? Send it to firstname.lastname@example.org!
Until next time,
Discuss this Digest here!